Dig into your ideal clients’ world, with the help of the world’s leading media database, to find out which niche publications are good vehicles for your firm’s message.
An introductory half-hour consultation to find out if niche media are a good way to reach your firm’s ideal clients – and if so, which publications will be most effective for your firm?
With the Explorer package, you’ll have a chance to find out which media reach your ideal clients, and develop a list that you can then use for your news releases, staff announcements, articles, and other marketing efforts.
The world has a vast array of niche publications, online and in print, each of them reaching a narrow market. Some serve a specific industry, like retail, finance or mining. Others target professions – like lawyers or IT managers. If you’re not part of their world, you’ve probably never heard of most of the publications your ideal clients rely on -- and that’s a challenge. But it’s a challenge you need to meet, because these media are eagerly read by the people in their narrow market, which may be your firm’s ideal clients.
The difficulty of finding the right niche media
One of the biggest challenges facing professional services firms is finding and then evaluating niche media that reach their ideal clients. This is because the firm’s professionals are not part of their own market – and may have trouble understanding the media that their target clients rely on. These include commercial print and online publications, industrial association websites, and influential blogs.
So how do you find them? Well, there’s Google. But you’ll wade through pages of search results, trying various long-key searches, taking vast swaths of time, and likely not end up with much. And you won’t know if you’ve found all the media that reach your intended market.
It’s much better to go to parts of the Internet where Google’s search bots can’t go. The subscribers-only database we use is Cisionpoint – widely considered the most comprehensive source of information on North American media.
Three things you need to know about Cisionpoint – and how we can help:
- It’s expensive. We pay about US$3500 a year for a subscription (we pay for that, so you don’t have to).
- It’s geeky. It took us a long time to learn how to use it – so you get the benefit of that learning.
- It doesn’t give the full story by itself. It requires experience, which we have, to interpret the listings and evaluate the publications to see which are worth pursuing -- and then to develop effective, customized strategies to help our clients reach their intended clients.
But the good news is that we can help you with all three points.
- We can do a screen-share so you can access the subscription we pay for.
- We can be your guide on how to use the database to find what you want.
- We know how to read and evaluate the listings, so you get the best search results possible.
Here’s how this service, The Explorer, works
- So you get the best value from your investment, I’ll send you some questions to think about, in advance of our call, helping you get clarity around your business priorities.
- We’ll meet up by a videoconference program such as Zoom or Skype.
- I’ll share my screen with you, bring up Cisionpoint, and we’ll look through the available categories to find publications that meet your firm’s marketing needs.
- A few minutes after our half-hour session, I’ll email you an Excel spreadsheet containing full details on all the periodicals of interest to you, including their websites and full contact information for the editor, so you can do your evaluation on your own
We will also waive the fee for The Explorer if you decide that there are enough publications reaching your ideal clients that it’s worthwhile to go ahead with one of our other two packages: Speedy Success or The Thought Leader. Cisionpoint updates its listings constantly, so the results of our search will start to go out of date quickly – so this add-on offer is available for just 30 days after we conduct our search in The Explorer.
The benefit to you – you have the assurance of knowing that you have taken the steps necessary to find the right niche media to reach your firm’s ideal clients.